Friday, February 3, 2012

How do I Buffer? Also doing a haml tutorial

So tonight I've been working through this tutorial on haml, working on converting Chorenivore from .erb to .haml view files. Everything's going pretty well so far, but I'm having more trouble than I thought since I'm still learning Emacs.

I've been pretty sorely tempted to just install Textmate or Sublime Text, in order to reduce the number of things that are giving me difficulty, but I did promise Gordon and the other Expected Behavior guys that I'd give Emacs a shot. Four days does not qualify as giving Emacs a shot, you lazy programmer!

I'm going to do some more work with haml tomorrow (kind of funny to think that learning how to use it won't be nearly as difficult as learning how to effectively use the buffer in Emacs is proving to be) and I'd like to take a look at the new version of Twitter Bootstrap that came out this week.

So far I'm enjoying CODETOBER. If nothing else, the guilt of not coding and blogging is prompting me to code and blog more. It's also not as structured as I'd imagined it at first. It hasn't been DAY 1: HAML, DAY 2: CUCUMBER by any means, but as long as I'm doing new things, learning how things work and blogging about it, I think I'm on the right track. And it's definitely a good idea to work on things I use for Expected Behavior work, such as Emacs, haml, sass and Twitter Bootstrap.

2 comments:

  1. You might enjoy http://rawsyntax.com/blog/learn-emacs-useful-links/

    ReplyDelete