Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Learn Ruby the Hard way

So I was all amped up and ready to get back to work refactoring Manticore tonight, but I ran across this site last night:

Learning Ruby the Hard Way

I've been meaning to beef up my Ruby skills, and although this site is largely review for me, I think it's GOOD review. I'm definitely getting in the habit of commenting on my code, which is something I've been meaning to do for a while now. I'm already through the first four exercises, so I don't anticipate this taking very long to get through.

When I first started learning with Beginning Ruby, I read through a bunch of Ruby code, but it wasn't very practical, since I had yet to get my filthy mitts on Rails. And now I've been hitting Rails pretty hard for a few months, and while I've used Ruby here and there, I've been feeling like I needed to get better acquainted with it. So here we are!

This is a good resource, and I wish I'd found it (or it had been available) when I got started. It's well written, engaging and doesn't hold your hand too much. The author assumes you can do some basic things, such as researching terms you aren't aware of and figuring out why an error happens when it does.

3 comments:

  1. That's cool. I have been reviewing the language the past few days too, just the beginning ruby book though. I was actually looking for some sort of review material other than the book that I have. I'll be looking into this for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Spencer yeah, it's been adapted from a book designed to learn Python. I'm finding it really useful so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neat. I'll be checking this out too.

    ReplyDelete