Sunday, April 17, 2011

+3 to Code Spear

I really can't say enough good things about Agile Web Development for Rails. I clocked some serious quality time with it this weekend and I've been learning a lot of things I wanted to know how to do while working on Manticore (or Dungeon Roller, if you've been following my progress) such as how to apply CSS and how to write tests and make sure everything is working.

Remember when I would just delete the entire project and start over because I'd screwed the code up so bad and had no idea how to fix it? Yeah, me too. (It was last week) But those days are over!

So here's my game plan: blast all the way through Agile Web Development for Rails, then get back to work on Manticore. Probably a good time to start using Git as well. It shouldn't take me too long to finish up this book, considering I've had it less than a week and I'm already 100 pages in. My progress with this book is definitely faster than my progress through Learning Ruby, probably due to a combination of AWB4R being much more practical and having some experience under my belt now.

On a side note, I spent maybe 6 to 8 hours working on Rails this weekend and I still feel like I'm not doing enough. I have a suspicion most developers feel this way no matter how much code they're writing.

2 comments:

  1. You will definitely level up once you get familiar with git. It's an amazing improvement to development, even when working by yourself.

    RE not coding enough: sadly, there are never enough hours in the day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Eli Yeah, my plan is to dig into Git once I get back to work on Manticore. AWB4R suggests I use Git while developing the shopping cart app it's walking me through, so I may go ahead and do that, but I feel better about using Git for something I'm creating.

    ReplyDelete