Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Swear to blog

I just finished up the Blog tutorial I've been working on the last few days. It was clear, easy to understand and a great introduction to views, models and controllers, as well as building a functional Ruby on Rails application.

I know people always go on and on about how easy Ruby is and I'm starting to see why. I still don't have a grasp on writing my own code, but I get why something is done. I feel like I've got a good understanding of the basics, which is absolutely important for proceeding.

I'm also amazed at how easy it is to add new functionality to an existing program. Initially I built the blog and was able to create, view and destroy posts. Then I went back and added comments with the ability to create and destroy them as well. THEN I went back and added tags.

So I'm getting it. I've gotten over feeling overwhelmed (to be fair, I got over that a while ago) and I just feel excited about learning. More coding!

I think my next step will be to return to Beginning Ruby and skip over chapter 13 altogether. I'll probably read through it for reference, but it used MySQL a lot and I really got hung up on that crap for a while. Still, that book has been a great resource and finishing it up will be worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment