Thursday, March 31, 2011

Generating code and staying motivated

I've discovered the less I think about what I'm doing with Ruby and Rails the more I learn and the more fun I have. I don't mean I'm not thinking about the code I'm writing, but rather if I stop and allow myself to feel overwhelmed and frustrated by what I don't know how to do yet, I get discouraged and coding seems like a chore.

I went back to Beginning Ruby tonight and did some work with gems that generate html and search through html for specific tags and/or information. Markaby, Redcloth and Hpricot, take a bow!

Right now I'm seeing actual Ruby work as being kind of secondary, though. I've decided I need a project to work on, so this weekend I'm going to begin work on a site that allows users to store characters for a Dungeons and Dragons campaign. It's a known fact I'm a huge DnD nerd and I've used similar sites in the past, so I think this is a good project for me. I know a lot about the mechanics of DnD and what I expect from a site that stores characters, and I've learned enough Rails that I think I can figure out how to get things started.

This big picture stuff was a huge mystery to me even a month ago, and I really need to keep that in mind. I still don't know exactly how to do it, but I have a good idea and I know where to find information, so I'm on the right track.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Tyler. The best way to learn Rails (or Python, or whatever) is to build something REAL. Good luck with your D&D app. I tweeted this btw :)

    http://twitter.com/#!/mreider/status/53604965398216704

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Mateo Yeah, that's the same conclusion I've come to. Thanks for the advice! It's always great to hear from more experienced developers.

    ReplyDelete